1.18.2010

Put Ya Effort Where Ya Mouth Is


I'm not trying to overwhelm you with the MLK blast. My boo Octavious already hit you with his thoughts, but this is a blog with 4 very different individuals...so expect 3 more...or maybe just mine.

ANYwhoooo, today is a day that was made to honor the birthday and accomplishments of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. However, 2day also marks the anniversary of the holiday....25 years. That is truly a feat in history.

I was talking to my mommy the other day and she was showing me all of her buttons that she had collected back in the day...and I'm talkin' TRULY back in the day as in the 60s and 70s...black power ish, Malcolm X, and of course MLK. Me being a button fanatic, I wanted all of them to have...but the meaning of them all didn't hit me until she explained (however, she did end up giving me her 'FREE ANGELA' button #FTW!). One of the buttons she had was one that was created in the efforts to pass MLK Day as an actual holiday...Well look where we are now...HEY HEY HEY!!!

After thinking about it, it's amazing to me how much work it takes trying to get a holiday passed....but to get a holiday passed in honor of a BLACK MAN??.....almost unheard of (especially back then). I was going to treat this holiday like all of the other holidays and enjoy my day off of school/work by playing Sims on the computer and rocking out to some Guitar Hero because I'm cool like that...But due to recent events (such as having a black President, the Haiti disaster, & much more...good and bad), I feel the need to take the time to reflect on my blessings. I am truly a blessed individual...thanks to the Lord and for Him putting "heroes" here on this Earth. People may pick to find negativity in these individuals, but I refuse to shun a brotha, or a sista, who works his/her a$$ off for a change. Am I or you doing the same?...We still have things to work on...from the masses of our planet all the way to our communities. However, change doesn't come without effort. So for all you people who strive to find what is wrong with MLK (and other individuals who have worked for a change), pause to think about your blessings and your progress...which, in part, is due to the efforts of those same hardworkers you blast on. As for the minorities (and our caucasian supporters), we would not be where we are today without the effort of "the King". Take the time out (even if it's a few minutes), to appreciate the change....even though there is more to come...

"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."
-- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.


P.S. Know your History --> click HERE

2 comments:

Unknown said...

out beat my post
great one :)
lets start the march

Unknown said...

Well put twiggy. Well said!!!!